Thursday, April 24, 2008

Stuffed Grilled Chilies

I looked through my posted recipes the other day and noticed I haven't posted my stuffed poblano chili recipe, which is odd since it's a definite favorite, not just to me, but to everyone I've made it for. I've been making it for several years now and am going to give you the recipe from my memory. I originally got it from one of the first "Real Simple" magazine issues, and I don't know if over the years I'm making it exactly the way they did.

6-7 Poblano chilies - these look like pointed bell peppers, though usually a darker green. Every store labels them different: like ancho (which is really dried poblanos) or pasillo ... So that's why I'm telling you what they look like.

Cut a slit down one side and remove the seeds and wash and drain. You'll be spooning filling in them and evening the filling amount in each in the end. I stuff the filling, shoving it well in so it doesn't easily come out when cooking (it does, but it's worse if you don't pack the filling).

Filling:
8 oz grated cheese
1 15oz drained canned beans - I usually use black soy beans since they are higher fiber and protein. My next choice would be black beans; then pinto.
1/3 cup raisins
1/4 cup salsa
2 tsp chili powder

I soak mesquite wood chips for at least an hour and have a chip pan I insert under the grill grate on one side. I leave this side on high for the entire cooking time. Before I had a nice grill, I used to put the drained, soaked chips sealed in heavy-duty foil with holes poked in it for smoke escape.

On a preheated grill place the stuffed peppers away from the wood chip side on high. Turn the burners under the chilies to low - near the end I often turn these burners off, still leaving the chip side on high. Cook with the lid closed. I grill them about a half-hour. Turn them over half way through, but be conscious of the slit opening so you don't dump all the filling out. They should get some dark blistering on both sides. Remove to a serving tray and cover with foil till you're ready to eat.

I don't think the recipe called for a sauce, but from my Rick Bayless Mexican cook books, I often make a sauce to serve the chilies with. He has you chopping onion, tomato, jalepeno and what not and add to cooking cream. My simple version is to heat cream and simmer down a bit, to thicken, and add some salsa.

I'm sorry I didn't take a picture. Dawson's photoblog site does have a picture of these, both on the grill and a plate (though he wanted flames for effect so put paper pieces in the grill to catch fire, good grilling though should not have flames). And I'm kicking myself I didn't take a picture of the 6 dancing chickens suspended over beer cans on the grill last night. The Norwegians did! They loved it - and it was so good. I posted this recipe with a picture a couple months ago.

Authentic Mexican cooking for stuffing all sorts of chiles, burritos and enchiladas often adds some chopped dried fruits. Not a lot, but to have an occasional bite of a bit of sweet is good.

1 comment:

sarahbri said...

Probably one of my favorite foods in the whole world! I can't wait to grow poblanos again this year. We did last year, and we ate this dish just about every other night all summer long. I came to love the golden raisins a bit more, but both good. It would be interesting to try it with some other dried fruit maybe...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...