Saturday, June 7, 2008

Horticulturally A.D.D.!!

I was going to plant my tomatoes this morning, but it's rather cool and windy out there ... so I'm waiting some more!!! Been frustrating. I DO leave them in walls-of-water the whole growing season. I was told when we moved here I couldn't grow tomatoes, but I have for 20 years! It's a bit late, but it's been done this way before and still worked. With the water that's held in tubes surrounding the plants is heated, they take off.

I was listening to the radio's Garden Wise Guys this morning and heard a term that definitely defines me - horticulturally A.D.D.!!

But, they were saying this summer might not be a good one for tomatoes, peppers, and beans, since the days get hot and evenings and some days have been quite cool. But at my altitude I've always planted the warm loving plants with a black plastic or weed block AND keep the beds covered all summer with what's called 'floating row covers'. So we'll see.

Remember last summer I said I was reading The $64 Tomato? It's a very fun book. With food costs rising, I'm hearing more stories of people replacing their grass yards with vegetable beds and fruit bush/tree patches.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...