Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Beauty in death


I took a bunch of pictures outside this morning in the warm sun before the next storm front moved in today, bringing more snow ... supposedly ... we'll see. I needed to capture for my photo library what some of the 'dead' plants look like, but started taking close-ups of the seed heads. I found some things still flowering. In this death cycle there is still beauty.







But in the picture process I decided to take pictures of all Monte's rock specimens he scattered around my garden walls this summer. I'm getting my pictures organized, getting more from Dawson's computer too, for Monte's parents to see, since we're visiting them and they so like pictures. I thought they'd get a kick out of seeing their son's playfulness. If I were to count all his rocks, there'd be a lot. I'm going to post some of the most pretty or unique. A green and black one is serpentinite, which he's mainly working with right now in his geologic endeavors.










3 comments:

Dr. Don said...

The green rock is actually a mantle xenolith of peridotite. It came from 400 km below our feet. If you hydrate it with a brine deep in the earth it turns into serpentinite which is California's state rock and holds the secret for the origin of oil.

Karey Swan said...

The "Don" above is not a Don but Monte. There was a Don at our house using Monte's computer and his name ended up as Monte's name.

Monte just wanted to add his two cents worth, clarifying more on serpentinite. He's so into the rock that he shows me it everywhere ... like when we were in Boston a year ago, and it's all over in the background of movies.

My sister emailed me too reminding me of the song "Beauty for Ashes" by Crystal Lewis, which this post reminded her of.

Karen Deborah said...

beautiful post.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...