Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Saint? Olaf

Today's calendar date remembers Olaf/Olav of Norway (995-1030). I have him on my calendar just because he's Scandinavian - our roots are Scandinavian. The sagas of his life are interesting.

Most of his youth was spent as a Viking pirate. When he became a Christian, his rugged individualism lifestyle carried over into Christianizing his country.

I had read a good article on him and wish I wrote down the exact phrase they used defining his evangelistic style - something along the line--"You become a Christian or you die!". Conversion by the sword may be the best phrase. I guess it's good? he fought for his faith.

The faith he labored to instill, began to grow and flourish after his death. What the sword couldn't do, even in 'good faith', the Spirit did.

2 comments:

KathyB. said...

Do you s'pose this would come under the category of God using " the foolishness of man.." ? I too love to read the history of some of the founding fathers of our faith and am amazed at the variety of ways and means we come to Christ. I always thought it interesting, maybe scary....convert or die !

Actually, very much like the Muslims of today....hope that does not bode ill for us! Love your blog! KathyB.

Karey Swan said...

I thought of the Muslims centuries ago too. Muslims took African peoples as slaves way before the Western cultures. And all whom they encountered, like Olaf, basically had to become Muslim or die.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...