Thursday, March 26, 2009

Snow & Rhubarb Pie

It's snowing! We woke to a dusting and now it's a blizzard. Schools closed anticipating a typical spring dump. The airport has canceled afternoon flights and businesses are suggesting closing by noon too. Denver's talking about 1 - 1 1/2 ft, so of course we'll get more! Good day for the wood stove fire going. We designed our great room with a cookstove setting between the kitchen and dining area. I leave the stove's oven door open for more heat to flow out. The upper little left opening is the fire box. I'd cleaned out the ash box below it last week, adding the ashes to my compost bin, so it's burning fast and hot.

"Wouldn't this be a good time for a piece of Rhubarb Pie?" - Prairie Home Companion's ending to many stories and then a song: "Mama's little baby loves Rhubarb, rhubarb/Beebopareebop Rhubarb Pie ... Just one little thing can revive a guy/ and that is a piece of rhubarb pie/ serve it up, nice and hot/ maybe things aren't as bad as you thought ..."

We were going to have company for supper last night, so I had supper preparations pretty well underway before they decided to fly out earlier ... just-in-case ... So Monte and me had a meal of the white chicken chili soup, nice salad, homemade bread ... and rhubarb pie. I took pictures of the pie making process, and here's the recipe from my Hearth & Home cookbook. When looking for recipes I'll often lay out many varieties, so I created this recipe from combining things I thought sounded good together.

Rhubarb Custard Pie
First, I freeze the 1/2" cut-up rhubarb from our garden in a heaping quart measuring bowl, so it's about 5 cups of rhubarb.

Second, you need pie crust for a double crust pie. I use my ground white whole wheat or pastry wheat I've always got in freezer. Since I had kamut in there too, this pie is half wheat and half kamut. I always use butter, unsalted if I have it. I've used lard or the newer organic shortening which is palm oil. I never use shortening. It's vegetable oil heated so hot it's next step would be plastic. Our body does not know how to break this fat down - it's what's now called trans-fat. And labels that have "partially" hydrogenated anything I never get. It's the word partial that's killing people. It races around our body looking for a home and latches onto cells, hurting them, and today we have way more cancer, diabetes, and heart disease than ever.

I use a food processor all the time now for the preliminary processing of the dough, unless I'm making a larger amount, then I use the whips in my regular Bosch bowl, putting the cut-up butter in first. But I always finish up both processes by hand with a pastry blender. Mixing the final bits of water in is when we often over-process pie dough, which makes it tough. Then I flatten the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate it while putting together the filling. Keeping the dough chilled is another key to a flaky crust.

Filling -
the 5 cups cut up fresh or frozen rhubarb put in pie first.
Mix together -
3 eggs
2 Tb whole wheat flour
2 Tb tapioca
1/3 c honey
1 c sugar (we've been practically eliminating sugar, so I'm going to cut this back next time cuz it was too sweet for us now)
1/2-1 tsp orange peel
pinch of salt

Pour the filling over the rhubarb and cover with a top crust and make steam vents. I usually sprinkle it with a touch of cinnamon, but forgot yesterday. Bake for 10 minutes at 400, then lower to 350 and continue baking another 45-60 minutes. We like pie crust well-browned and giving the bottom crust a chance to thoroughly cook too.

When I put on the top crust I knife off the excess dough before crimping the edges.

I roll out this excess dough for little cinnamon tarts. Sometimes I'll put pats of butter then sprinkle on lots of cinnamon. The very little bit of sugar added on these is Sucanat. It can't really be called a sugar, cuz by its very nature, sugar is processed. Sucanat is plain dehydrated sugar cane.

Maybe this storm won't be as bad as we thought.

4 comments:

Marci said...

I would love to come and watch you make some of your recipes. I can not make a good pie crust with freshly ground flour. I do have a food processor, maybe I need to try that. It looks wonderful!!

Karey Swan said...

Make sure it's not freshly ground flour. For all my baking, other than bread I make sure the flour is older so it's settled. Otherwise it's got lots of air in it and won't measure properly.

I think I read in a Rodale Press book that you'd need to measure a third more flour?...

I always have preground flour in labeled ziplock bags in the freezer. If you left it in the grain grinder for more than a week the life-giving germ of the grain would be rancid and devoid of nutrients.

Debbie in CA : ) said...

Oh Karey, you just answered my question about freshly ground flour "aging" a bit in the freezer. It made sense to me, but I thought I'd check with you. (The Lord went before me . . . again.)

I LOOOOOOOVE your stove and that pie looks scrumptious. I planted rhubarb when we moved here. It failed to flourish and I thought it had died. Jus the other day I saw fresh growth so I dug it up and moved it to another location. I hope (how I hope!) it flourishes! I love rhubarb ANYTHING and so do my kids.

I enjoy your blog so much -- it's so friendly and yet deep. Thanks for opening your heart and home. : D

Karey Swan said...

We are approaching the rhubarb season. As summer progresses the stalks get hollow and I think I read that the 'poison' of the leaves creep down. I don't know if it's truly poison, but I only pick the solid stalks.

I had to check the "Recipe" label to see if I'd posted it and I did - another rhubarb recipe and my favorite! (Oh I can't do a link here) Look for Rhubarb Crunch.

I'll use fresh ground flour later in the day or moreso the next in recipes, but I freeze it, once bread making is done.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...