Friday, August 21, 2009

Menopause?

I jokingly call menopause "mental pause". But I'm there. How long does it last? It starts for some people early - believed to be the result of pesticides, hormones in our food, stress, etc. I'm at the age women in the old days started menopause.

Why am I talking about this? Yesterday I went for a physical. I've not had one in quite awhile, or I should say some things started several years ago never got completed. I thought I was over the hump, meaning that my body has entered the next woman's season of life ... but no.

Monte was reading about menopause on line. Do other men do this?!!! ;^) Well, Monte read that the possibility of having a baby in the house this summer has thrown my hormones for a loop.

But ya know what happened yesterday that is so typical of my body, but this was the worst! ... I was poked by 8 (or was it 9?) needles (and two nurses and the doctor) trying to draw my blood! I hate saying something to nurses, not wanting to start them off scared. And if you're going to ask me the typical question of if I drank enough water? ... YES!!!

Four tries were in the early morning since I had fasted. When they think they got enough for the one test needing my having fasted, they told me to go home, eat, and drink TONS of water and just drop in again. So I did just after lunch. Finally, the fourth one that time filled three more tubes.

I've heard in the past, "your veins are good but they collapse or roll". They did get veins this time but my blood is so thick (probably why I had blood clots in my last pregnancy). In the past I've tried laughing to make the blood flow more.

I told them they need to write in bold red letters on the front: Hard to draw blood! Put a warm pad on first. Use the smallest butterfly needle you've got. I think too they should draw my blood first when I get there and have been drinking a lot, and then do the rest of the appointment.

Now just the gap of time waiting, hoping all's well.

2 comments:

Karen Deborah said...

Ugh sorry. Your the second post I have seen with all this sticking.
Kayla was always a really tough stick. I had her gorge herself with watermelon, it helps. Getting the arm warm with hot wet towels helps but people just like to stick. If you know for a fact that your blood is thick take an aspirin the night before. You might want to have them draw a clotting time to be sure your not at risk for clots.
Once you have been stuck 2 or 3 times they aren't going to get it. I only stick twice.
You might as well go home, eat and drink and come back later. I always tell patients to speak up when they have had enough. You can always say STOP.

Menopause seems to be with us until we are 90. Yeah I guess some husbands do research. My husband bought me a book from a talk show radio program a few years ago. He never does THAT. He pulled over on the side of the road and found a pay phone, guess that makes it more than a few years.

It really made me wonder how hard I was to live with!

Karen Deborah said...

who is holding Will?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...