Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Couscous salad

Another salad we really like is with couscous. My taste buds were having quite a craving for it for awhile.

In a bowl put 1 cup couscous and 1 tsp salt. Mix in 1 1/3 cups of the hottest tap water and come back and stir it occasionally while mixing up the rest of the ingredients.

Here again, like with the coleslaw recipe anything can be mixed in. But for starters, try this:
Chop 2 cups loose parsley
Mix with
1 Tb fresh lemon juice
1 Tb olive oil
6 green onions chopped (green tops included)
4 cups spinach cut in ribbons

Make dressing and add as much as you like:
2 Tb fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup half&half

I like to add cherry tomatoes
&/or roasted red pepper chopped
or mint, making the dressing of orange juice, zest and vinegar
. . . . . . .

I only use olive oil in all my cooking. I buy three kinds. The cheapest kind in a large container is virtually flavorless. A virgin kind I use for sauteing. Then I have a more expensive extra virgin kind for salads, and other times it's not cooked, and for dipping bread in - yum!!!! Good flavored olive oil with a seasoning and great whole grain bread--I crave! but can't eat a lot of or I'd be a fattened cow.

I always have a pretty wooden bowl or basket of lemons and limes. We use these ALL the time--whether just in water or squeezed onto salad alone with the good olive oil...

I also love green onions.

I love lots of things...

4 comments:

sarahbri said...

I'm with you on two things - I love couscous. I think it's one of the best inventions ever, lending itself to such a huge variety of mix-ins. And I love olive oil for anything - cooking, not cooking, dipping, dressing, etc. Delicious! I am not such a fan of green onions. There are things that you just can't replace them with - their flavor is wonderful. But their texture gets to me :)

Karey Swan said...

Didn't you say green onions were ok cooked, just not raw? Or the other way around.

sarahbri said...

Actually, it's really just the green part I don't like, and it doesn't seem to matter if it's cooked or not. They seem to be like chewing paper - they just stick to the roof of your mouth or your teeth and feel all weird. The white part is fine with me, either way. I may have once had a preference, but not anymore. But as with most things, I eat green onions. They're just not my favorite.

Anonymous said...

Green onions are awesome, raw or cooked. I just love that papery texture sensation - especially when it sticks to the roof of my mouth.

I like couscous too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...