Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Crepe Recipe

Before I wrote my crepe recipe today I had to give background, because history is very important to me.

Like I've said before, I like some of the calendar celebrations cuz they give me ideas of what to make for supper! I traditionally now make crepes (or Swedish Pancakes) for Shrove/Fat Tuesday.

In my book Hearth&Home I put Crepes in my dessert chapter not knowing where to really put them! But I tend to make a lot of them so there's some for meat, veggie, or fruit fillings. They could be a great party meal too, with people bringing all sorts of possibilities to fill them with, or sauces to ladle over.

Crepe Recipe -
I use whole-grain flour in mine. I mix all the ingredients together in the blender at least a couple hours ahead of time for the liquid to absorb the whole-grain flour, resulting in a tender crepe that holds together well.

1 1/2 cups whole-grain flour (sometimes I use oat and barley flour to get away from wheat - tonight it's a 7-grain flour)
4 eggs
2 cups milk
3 Tb melted butter or oil
(dash of salt)
(1 Tb honey or 2 Tb sugar)

Preheat a 6-7 inch non-stick skillet. Lightly grease (some pans might not need greasing) and pour very little of the batter into the pan - like about 2-3 Tb. Quickly tilt the pan to coat the bottom. If there's excess batter, just pour it off. Cook until the edges begin to pull away and the top is completely dry - 1-2 minutes. Turn over to cook about 30 seconds - 1 minute and invert on a plate to stack them.

Monte especially likes them with stewed fruit and homemade yogurt, rolling them up with his fork, and real maple syrup drizzled over the top.

You can add a couple tablespoons of cocoa to the batter to make them chocolate. Or you could add 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, finely grated, for another variation. The crepes can be cut in wedges and baked for crepe chips.

Filling ideas?


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...