Monday, June 15, 2009

Sourdough Pancakes

I just ground more rye flour for the sourdough starter I began almost two weeks ago. I've not had sourdough around for several years and we've been missing it - primarily for sourdough pancakes - our favorite!

I have a cookbook called Alaskan Sourdough I got years ago, though it's currently packed in boxes with most of my cookbooks in the garage because we dismantled a wall that the bookshelf was on almost two years ago, opening up the kitchen and great room more - and I'm seeing what I can't live without. I google recipes now and look on FoodNetwork.com, SplendidTable.org and find most anything I want. Like I googled sourdough pancakes and the first entry was from that Alaskan cookbook of mine.

The Alaskan sourdough is made from potato water and sugar and flour (maybe yeast initially?). I've never made sourdough using milk like some recipes use. The current recipe I'm using is from the book Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon. She claims the best results for sourdough starter are obtained from rye rather than wheat flour. And that's fine with me since we consume so much more wheat than any other grain. Her reasoning is because rye contains a lower phytate content (don't ask me what that means cuz I haven't researched it so I don't know).

Start with mixing 2 cups rye flour and 2 cups water and cover the bowl with cheescloth and let sit out on the counter (I've got my bowl covered with a dish towel and rubberband). Each day for a week add another cup each of rye flour and water, then it's ready for bread, which I've not made yet, and may not get to make, as the demand for the pancakes rules! and I don't have enough starter left for bread.

So, from the Alaskan cookbook-
Sourdough Pancakes
Start griddle heating.
Mix together:
2 C starter (I've been using 4 in a 2 quart pyrex bowl - it'll bubble up so bigger is better)
2 Tb sugar (double)
1 egg (I've used both 2 or 3 and either works)
4 Tb oil (double, using 1/2 cup, and I'm using olive oil)
1/2 tsp salt (double)

Mix together: 
1 (2) tsp soda
1 (2) Tb warm water
and fold into batter and let set a bit to rise.
Using a ladle, pour the pancakes to cook on an oiled griddle.

They are best with maple syrup. I often cook up berries or old fruit, adding in any old jams needing to be used up. The fruit syrup is good with yogurt (I always have homemade on hand, look for my recipe). Leftovers are good. I haven't done it lately, but I used to spread leftovers with almond butter and raspberry jam, roll them up, and put in a sandwich baggie for a quicky meal when running errands.

The Alaskan cookbook tells historic stories and its said a special place was always made in their cabin/home for their starter and that they'd rather live a year without their rifle than without a sourdough starter. I also found it interesting that a ball of starter could be stored in the midst of flour in a flour sack, like if you were crossing the prairie in a wagon. Think about it ... no stores, no yeast (except for wild yeast, and that's another story that I have from my own experience) you'd sure love biscuits and bread rather than just crackers or tortilla like flatbread all the time.

5 comments:

sarahbri said...

Yum! I'm going to do this! With the starter, you first mention it's made with potato water and flour and sugar, but then in giving the actual instructions you say water and didn't mention sugar. Could you clarify?

Karey Swan said...

The starter from the Alaskan cookbook with the sugar is not what I'm doing now, but the pancake recipe is from that cookbook, but it's working with the current starter I'm using.

The current starter that I'll continue doing is the simple rye and water one I mention. Just adding a cup each of rye flour and water each day till it's 'soured' a week.

If not using the starter for awhile you can store some of it the refrigerator (like a quart) or freeze it.

The bread recipe I would try is in the book the starter recipe is from that I mention (the second book) and it uses 2 qts of starter for a batch of bread adding 2 1/2 Tb salt, 1 1/2 cups water, and about 13 cups flour (suggesting spelt or kamut, but can use wheat). 3 large loaves of 5-6 smaller loaves baking at 350 about an hour.

Anonymous said...

Karey!

I can' believe it...you forgot to share the incredible value sour dough has over fresh-ground grains, not just nutritionally but in the improvement to assimilation, digestion, etc. Prospectors literally lived on it. I know you have a whole book that discusses this and the concept is scattered in many of your other cook and nutritional books. The message in your book on milk is basically analogous. This is not just about the wonderful taste, although the umamie (sp?) taste is worth mentioning especially with the rye.

Monte

Karey Swan said...

I know Monte! I've got to do a post on the value of sourdough, kinda like the extra nutritiveness that comes from sprouting seeds and grains. All I'll say for now is that sourdough is, as is tofu (not other soy products) or yogurt - a 'pre-digested' type of food - easier for our bodies to assimilate.

And too, I have to do a post on umami (the right spelling). All I'll say for now is that umami is the fifth taste.

And I see typos in my last post and comment - like 3 loaves or 5-6 loaves, and store it 'in' the refrigerator ...

Karen Deborah said...

awh now ya'll are being cute writing notes to each other...
I always have typos. I am the queen of typos.
I baked biscuits today want see em?
sourdough is something i need to take on right now while i am off work and have the time. YES.

Do you still speak for womens conferences (church) and if so about what topics?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...